Monday, October 11, 2010

Midwest style vs West Coast style


Growing up in the heart of the Midwest, Oklahoma to be exact, I became very aware of the style change from moving from the Midwest to the West Coast.  The big leap from Oklahoma to California presented an entirely new sense of fashion.  The main difference between the Midwest and West Coast would have to be the seasons.  Back home, one dresses for the full affects of fall, winter, spring, and summer.  This means there is a large gap between when to wear sweaters and boots, and when to wear swimsuits and flip-flops.  However, in the West Coast a sweater could be the cover up for a swimsuit.  This is all due because of the dramatic climate changes.  Chilly mornings on the West Coast warm up to warm enjoyable days on the beach.  This is large difference for the people of the Midwest, they dress in the morning and stay in the same outfit all day.  There is not much of a change of clothes or style in the day, compared to the West Coast where layering is essential on a long day out.  Also, for the West Coast there is a sense of relaxation or a “comfortable” look.  People are able to express this through their different styles of the “beach bum” look.  However, folks in the Midwest also have a sense of being put together, meaning there is a specific time for casual wear and a specific time for classy wear.  If we want to sport the “grunge” look, we wear our Nike shorts and t-shirt or sweat suits.  The “grunge” or casual look for the Californian’s are Vans, skinny jeans, and some rock t-shirt.  Back home we classify that as an “emo” or different look, but here people fully embrace it as an everyday casual outfit.  This relates to my everyday life and the specific details that go into design in society.  For me, my society at home has its own look, a southern charm.  The question I had to answer when I came to the West Coast was would I fully embody my southern charm and cowboy boots or would I confide to the societal fashion norms of California?  I of course like to carry my sense of the south with me in California, hoping to bring a little sense Midwest fashion.   

No comments:

Post a Comment